Hatch some sweet chicks like ours! These made it onto the cover of the Martha Stewart Living April 2011 issue.
For the Sugar Cookies
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 sticks room-temperature unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Reduce speed to low. Beat in flour mixture, then vanilla extract.
2. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
3. Roll out dough on a floured surface to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out shapes using template, rerolling scraps once. Transfer to baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 325 degrees until edges just start to brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Makes about 3 dozen 3 1/4-inch cookies.
For the Royal Icing
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon meringue powder
1. Beat confectioners' sugar, water, and 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon meringue powder with a mixer on low speed until smooth, about 7 minutes.
2. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. "Flood" cookies with icing. Let dry completely.