Moroccan Chicken Couscous
Turmeric, which is related to ginger, is what gives this dish, and other curries their distinctive yellow color.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2003
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 can whole tomatoes (14 1/2 ounces)
- 1 can chickpeas (15 1/2 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock, or reduced-sodium canned broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 zucchini (about 1 pound), halved crosswise and quartered lengthwise
- Best Couscous
In a Dutch oven, combine chicken, carrots, onions, tomatoes, chickpeas, stock, water, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Add zucchini, and cook until chicken is cooked through, yet still tender, about 15 minutes more.
Serve couscous in bowls. Spoon chicken, vegetables, and broth on top.