Dark Chocolate Cookies with Sour Cherries
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dried sour cherries, firmly packed (9 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat until well combined. Add the flour mixture, and beat on low speed, until just combined. Do not overbeat. With a wooden spoon, fold in chocolate and cherries.
Form balls of dough, each about 1/4 cup; place balls on baking sheet about 3 inches apart. Bake until puffed and cracked, 9 to 11 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, up to 3 days.
SourceHoliday Baking 2002, Special Issue Holiday 2002