Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Boil
For a leisurely meal that's great for sharing, spread the shrimp and sausage boil on wide sheets of butcher paper and dig in.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2009
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile, halved lengthwise
- 2 celery stalks, halved
- 1 medium onion, quartered through stem end
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning, plus more for serving
- 1 pound red new potatoes
- 2 ears corn, husks and silks removed, quartered
- 1 pound smoked andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound large shell-on shrimp
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
In a large pot, combine chile, celery, onion, garlic, 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning, and 10 cups water; bring to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce to a rapid simmer. Cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
Add corn and sausage to pot. Cook until potatoes and corn are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Stir in shrimp and let stand until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 1 1/2 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid; drain shrimp mixture and return to pot. Add butter, 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning, hot sauce, and reserved cooking liquid and toss to combine. Serve with more seafood seasoning.