Anchovy Crostini with Onion-and-Raisin Relish
Bring a taste of Venice to your next cocktail hour by pairing sweet-and-sour anchovy crostini with our Prosecco cocktails.
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted until golden
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 head radicchio, preferably radicchio di Treviso, thinly sliced crosswise
- 18 thin slices baguette
- 36 oil-packed white-anchovy fillets (about 4 ounces; tienda.com)
Cook onions with bay leaf in oil over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and add wine and vinegar. Return to heat, and bring to a simmer, cooking until liquid has almost evaporated, about 7 minutes. Stir in raisins and pine nuts, and season with salt and pepper. Let stand until cool; discard bay leaf.
Place a small amount of radicchio on each slice of bread. Top with a spoonful of onion mixture. Remove anchovies from oil, and place 2 on each slice.