Shepherd's Pie with Ground Lamb
- Servings: 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons melted for brushing top
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium commercial chicken stock
- 1 ten-ounce package frozen peas
- Mashed Potatoes
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large skillet heat oil and 2 tablespoons butter over high heat. Add onions and carrots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add lamb and cook, stirring and breaking up lamb with the back of a wooden spoon, until lamb is beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in peas and return to a simmer.
Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spoon or pipe mashed potatoes evenly over meat mixture. Brush with melted butter. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until top is golden and juices are bubbling, 25 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 20 to 30 minutes before serving.