Under 30 Minutes
Crisp Pita Salad
Whole parsley leaves add brightness to this crunchy Mediterranean salad. If you like, boost the flavor even more with our version of Za'atar, a Middle Eastern spice blend.
- 1 pita, split and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 Zaatar Spice Blend
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 2 scallions, sliced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss pita with 1 1/2 tablespoons Za'atar (if using) and 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake until pita chips are golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Add lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, mint, scallions, pita chips, and remaining Za'atar (if using). Season salad with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
SourceEveryday Food, March 2010