Dough for Pork Empanadas with Thyme
Use this dough to make our Pork Empanadas with Thyme.
- Yield: Makes enough dough for 8 empanadas
Source: Everyday Food, December 2009
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons each minced fresh sage and thyme
- 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups ice water
In a food processor, pulse all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), baking powder, and coarse salt. Add minced fresh sage and thyme; pulse until combined. Add cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces; pulse until mixture is the texture of coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces butter remaining. Add 1 cup ice water; pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (add up to 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead just until dough comes together, 4 to 5 times.