Under 30 Minutes
Chicken Tostada Salad
Dress these salads with your favorite Mexican flavors. We like tomato, avocado, red onion, and cilantro, but you can also add salsa, sour cream, or taco sauce to the mix.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Breast meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, torn into bite-size pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce (6 ounces), shredded
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced small
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
Preheat oven to 400. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with 2 teaspoons oil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, 10 minutes. Divide cheese among tortillas and return to oven. Bake until cheese is bubbling, about 3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add half the red onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chicken and cup water and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is warmed through and water is almost evaporated, 2 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon lime juice and remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine lettuce and 1 tablespoon lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat and divide among tortillas. Top each tortilla with chicken mixture, tomato, avocado, remaining onion, and cilantro.
SourceEveryday Food, May 2010