Roasted Garlic and Lemon Barbecue Sauce
Roasting mellows the garlic, and lemon brightens the taste of this sauce.
- Yield: Makes 3 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2009
- 2 heads garlic, unpeeled, top 1/3 inch cut off
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 strips (each 2 1/2 inches long) lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups Basic Barbecue Sauce
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Top garlic with oil, zest, thyme, salt, and pepper, and wrap in parchment-lined foil. Bake until garlic is golden and soft, 1 1/2 hours. Unwrap, and let cool for 10 minutes. Squeeze garlic from peels, and puree with zest, thyme, and lemon juice in a food processor.
Combine garlic mixture and barbecue sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gently simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool, and refrigerate.