Dirty Deviled Eggs
This picnic favorite gets a touch of cocktail-party refinement, thanks to briny olives in the filling.
- Yield: Makes 2 dozen
Photography: Paul Costello
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2010
- 12 large eggs
- 2/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup finely chopped black or green olives
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: 24 thin black or green olive slices
Place eggs in a large pot, and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, and let stand, covered, for 13 minutes. Drain, and run under cold water to cool.
Peel eggs; slice a bit of the white off each short side so they can sit flat. Halve crosswise, and remove yolks. Mash yolks with creme fraiche, mustard, and lemon zest. Pass through a sieve. Stir in olives. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon or pipe yolk mixture into hollow of each egg white. Garnish each egg with an olive slice.