Dirty Deviled Eggs
This picnic favorite gets a touch of cocktail-party refinement, thanks to briny olives in the filling.
- 12 large eggs
- 2/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup finely chopped black or green olives
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: 24 thin black or green olive slices
Place eggs in a large pot, and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, and let stand, covered, for 13 minutes. Drain, and run under cold water to cool.
Peel eggs; slice a bit of the white off each short side so they can sit flat. Halve crosswise, and remove yolks. Mash yolks with creme fraiche, mustard, and lemon zest. Pass through a sieve. Stir in olives. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon or pipe yolk mixture into hollow of each egg white. Garnish each egg with an olive slice.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 2010