Chicken Noodle Soup
In addition to broad egg noodles, you can make this heavenly soup with angel-hair pasta broken into short lengths or other shapes, such as alphabet pasta or pastina, or add cooked grains like rice.
- Servings: 8
- Yield: Makes 3 1/4 quarts
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1999
- 3 quarts Homemade Chicken Stock
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles
- Cooked chicken meat, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, or 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
Remove the chilled chicken stock from the refrigerator. Use a spoon to remove the layer of fat that has formed at the top, and discard. Place stock in a stockpot over medium-high heat, and bring just to a simmer. Add carrots, and simmer until tender, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain noodles, and add them to the pot of stock, along with shredded chicken meat. Season with salt and pepper. Heat until very hot. When ready to serve, stir in dill and parsley.