Greek Salad with Zucchini and Tomatoes
You can complete this recipe through step 3 a few hours ahead of time; set aside zucchini mixture, pita pieces, and dressing at room temperature until ready to serve.
- 3 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces each), halved lengthwise and sliced 1 inch thick crosswise
- 2 pints (about 4 cups) grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 (6-inch) pita breads, split horizontally
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 romaine-lettuce hearts (12 to 14 ounces total), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
Heat broiler. If using a broiler-proof rimmed baking sheet, set rack 4 inches from heat; if using a broiler pan, set rack so that top of pan is 4 inches from heat. On sheet (or pan), toss zucchini and tomatoes with dill, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Broil until tender and slightly charred, 20 to 25 minutes; transfer to a plate to cool. Wipe sheet (or pan) clean with a paper towel.
Place split pitas on sheet (or pan); broil until lightly browned, 1 to 3 minutes per side (watch closely). Cool, then break into small pieces.
In a small jar or bowl, combine vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons oil with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; shake or whisk until combined and thickened.
Divide lettuce, zucchini mixture, pita pieces, feta, and olives among serving plates; drizzle with dressing as desired.
SourceEveryday Food, January/February