Once the can of coconut milk is opened, transfer the coconut milk to an airtight container; refrigerate up to a week. Or freeze leftovers in an ice-cube tray until solid, pop cubes into a resealable bag, and freeze up to six months. To use, heat on low until liquefied.
- 1 slice bacon, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 scallions, minced
In a medium saucepan, brown bacon over medium-low heat, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Pour off fat. Add garlic, jalapeno, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add coconut milk and 1 1/4 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in beans and rice. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in scallions. Let sit, covered, until water is absorbed, 10 minutes.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2004