Mediterranean Chicken Stew with Creamy Polenta
Serve this flavorful dish on top of our Creamy Polenta.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2005
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted Kalamata olives (about 5)
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Creamy Polenta, for serving
Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium-low; add remaining teaspoon oil to skillet. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chickpeas and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes; cook over medium heat until starting to break down, 3 to 4 minutes. Add olives, vinegar, and chicken along with any accumulated juices to pan; toss until warmed through, about 1 minute. Stir in parsley. Serve over polenta.