Apple juice from frozen concentrate is thicker than bottled apple juice, so it makes a better coating for the granola, helping it get crisp in the oven without requiring much oil.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, raisins, or other dried fruit, halved or chopped if large (optional)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-by- 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Add oats, wheat germ, and walnuts, stirring to combine. Bake until oats are lightly toasted, about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees.
In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, stir together apple juice, sugar, and oil. Pour over oat mixture; stir to combine. Return to oven, and bake until oats are crisp, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Cool in pan, about 25 minutes (toss with cherries, if desired). Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2005