Braised Cod with Plum Tomatoes
A cod steak has a row of bones running down its center; to remove the bones, cut around them with a sharp knife, dividing the fish into two pieces.
- Servings: 4
Photography: BEATRIZ DA COSTA
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- Four 7-ounce cod steaks, skin and bones removed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)
Sprinkle both sides of cod steaks with oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle the tomato slices with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. When hot, add cod and tomato slices. Cook until cod steaks are golden on bottoms, about 4 1/2 minutes. Using a metal spatula, turn cod steaks and tomatoes. Add 1 cup water and the garlic; bring liquid to a simmer.
Simmer until cod begins to feel firm when you press it with your finger and it starts to flake, about 4 minutes. Divide cod, tomatoes, and broth among four soup plates. Garnish with parsley, and serve.