Spicy Coconut Chicken Casserole
Settle in for the night with this cozy meal that gets to the table quickly and gets cleaned up even faster.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2008
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 whole chicken legs (about 3 pounds total)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces green beans (stem ends removed), cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in two batches, cook chicken until browned, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate (chicken will cook more in step 2).
To pot, add coconut milk, broth, 1/2 cup water, and curry paste; bring to a boil, and stir in rice. Add chicken (with any juices), arranging pieces in a single layer. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, without stirring, until rice is almost tender, 15 minutes.
Scatter bell peppers and green beans on top of chicken mixture; cover, and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.