Red Beans with Andouille Sausage
Andouille is a spicy Cajun pork sausage. As an alternative, you can use kielbasa or another type of smoked sausage.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2009
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bag (1 pound) dried, small red beans, soaked overnight and drained
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add andouille; cook until fat is released and sausage is slightly golden in spots, 10 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beans and 4 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until beans are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, adding more water if necessary. Stir in andouille and heat through; season with salt and pepper.