Cupcakes Three Ways
Stir up one batter three ways, then add on buttery icing, plus cute flourishes, for head-of-the-class results.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Vanilla, raspberry, or chocolate buttercream
Prepare both vanilla and chocolate batters; fill muffin cups with 3 tablespoons of each, side by side. Makes 24.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a standard 12-cup muffin pan, or use paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla, and mix until combined. On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, followed by milk; end with remaining flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated (do not overmix).
Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 22 to 24 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan, 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Frost with your choice of buttercream.
SourceEveryday Food, September 2007