Looking for your keys? There's no need to go scrabbling around in your tote bag.
Just add a pocket (and a cute closure) to get all the small stuff under control. With a swatch of Ultrasuede fabric, a button, and a few quick stitches, you're good to go.
Tools and Materials
- Ultrasuede soft fabric, 46 inches wide, $60 per yd., bandjfabrics.com
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Craft knife and cutting mat
1. Download tote-closure template; trace onto fabric. Cut out with scissors; fold as shown in image 2 above. Sew along edges to create a pocket. Cut a vertical slit in top flap for buttonhole. Note: Ultrasuede fabric is easy to clean and doesn't fray.
2. Position pocket inside top edge of tote [see image 3 above]; stitch across back of pocket, joining it to tote. Fold pocket flap over top of bag to opposite side; mark spot where buttonhole meets fabric; sew button to bag.