Quick Collard Greens
This quicker take on collard greens has as much deep flavor as traditional long-simmering recipes. Make Skillet Cornbread to soak up the tasty "pot likker."
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: José Manuel Picayo Rivera
Source: Everyday Food, October 2007
- 1 smoked ham hock (about 1/4 pound)
- 3 pounds (about 4 bunches) collard greens, stalks removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
In a large pot, combine ham hock, collard greens, and 8 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until collards are very tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove ham hock, and discard. Add vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Serve collards with their broth, and, if desired, hot sauce.