Cool down at sundown by savoring roll-and-bake cheese crackers and pouring mint refreshers that are just peachy. Dry mustard, ground pepper, and cayenne give the crackers some kick. To soften the punch, omit the cayenne. For variation, try Gruyere cheese in place of cheddar.
- 6-ounce piece sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for work surface
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 425. In a food processor fitted with the grating blade, grate cheese. Switch to cutting blade; add flour, butter, mustard powder, salt, ground pepper, and cayenne. Pulse until a dough forms.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface; divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope, about 3/8 inch in diameter and 18 inches long; cut each rope into six 3-inch pieces. Place pieces 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Drag the tines of a fork down each straw to create ridges.
Bake until golden and firm to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.