Classic Sloppy Joes
Soft sandwich buns work best with this classic kid-friendly recipe -- as do chips and pickles. The beef mixture can also be served over pasta.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Clive Streeter
Source: Everyday Food, November 2003
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add ground beef to skillet. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir tomato sauce, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce into beef mixture in skillet. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes.
Season the mixture with more salt and pepper, as desired. Spoon onto buns, and serve immediately.