Big cubes of bread in this traditional Italian salad soak up the zesty dressing; white beans and provolone pump up the protein for a well-balanced vegetarian meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, June 2007
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups large cubes country bread (5 to 6 ounces)
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese in one piece, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil; season with salt and pepper.
Add beans, bread, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and cheese. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, and up to 8 hours. Just before serving, stir in basil.