Under 30 Minutes
Fettuccine with Spinach Pesto
We added a twist to a classic pesto sauce by replacing the basil with spinach.
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon grated zest plus 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; immediately drain pasta, and return to pot.
While pasta is cooking, place spinach, Parmesan, nuts, garlic, and lemon zest and juice in a food processor. Process until a paste forms. With motor running, add oil and 1/4 cup cold water; process until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add to pasta; toss, adding reserved pasta water a little at a time until sauce is thinned slightly and coats fettuccine (you may not need all the water). Serve, sprinkled with additional Parmesan and nuts, if desired.