Under 30 Minutes
This slightly sweet, mildly spicy romesco sauce hails from Tarragona, a coastal city in Spain, where it is most often served with fish.
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 1 slice white sandwich bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in juice, drained well and squeezed to remove seeds
- 1/4 cup jarred pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook almonds, garlic, and bread, tossing frequently, until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool completely.
Place almond mixture in a food processor; process until finely ground. Add tomatoes, pimientos, vinegar, paprika, and cayenne; process until smooth. With motor running, gradually add oil; process until combined. Season with salt and pepper. To store, refrigerate up to 1 week, or freeze.