Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface and cutter
- 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening,cut into small pieces and chilled
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Repeat. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Make a well in center, and add buttermilk. Stir until dough holds together.
Turn dough onto a generously floured surface. Fold dough over on itself 3 or 4 times. Pat to 1 inch thick. Cut out rounds with a floured 3-inch biscuit cutter. Place rounds 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gather scraps, and repeat. Brush tops with melted butter.
Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm, or let cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.