Orange Spritz Cookies
Orange zest gives these buttery cookies a zingy flavor.
- Yield: Makes about 2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Preheat oven to 400. Whisk flour, salt, and zest in a bowl. Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually mix in flour mixture.
Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip (such as Ateco #829). Pipe 2 1/2-inch logs on parchment-lined baking sheets. Whisk together yolk and cream; brush cookies with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.