Under 30 Minutes
Broiled Apricots with Ginger Whipped Cream
Dessert doesn't need to be really sweet to seem indulgent. Broiling apricots with a touch of brown sugar intensifies the fruit's flavor without adding too many calories.
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 8 apricots (about 1 pound), halved and pitted
- 4 teaspoons light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
Heat broiler to high, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Squeeze juice from grated ginger into a large bowl (you should get about 1 teaspoon juice); discard pulp. Add cream and granulated sugar. Whip until soft peaks form; refrigerate.
Place apricots, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Dividing evenly, top with brown sugar, butter, and cardamom. Broil until apricots just begin to char, 2 to 5 minutes. Top apricots with whipped cream, and serve immediately.
SourceEveryday Food, July/August 2008