Grilled Mustard-Garlic Chicken with Sausage
Freshly snipped chive flowers are just the right garnish.
- 12 chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs, or breasts halved crosswise)
- 8 garlic cloves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh chives (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 pounds sausage, preferably chicken
Cut two 1/4-inch-deep slashes into the skin side of each piece of chicken. Puree garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the chives in a food processor until a smooth paste forms. Transfer to a bowl, stir in mustard and oil, and season with pepper. Rub mixture onto chicken, as well as under the skin. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat grill to medium. Grill chicken, about 6 pieces at a time, turning often to prevent flare-ups, about 10 minutes, adding more pieces as chicken browns. Once chicken is crisp and browned, transfer pieces to an indirect- or low-heat area, and grill, until cooked through, checking frequently and turning as needed, to avoid charring, 10 to 12 minutes. (Pierce with a fork to test for doneness; meat should be firm and juices will run clear.) Drizzle with vinegar while warm.
Meanwhile, cook sausage on a clean, lightly oiled section of grill, over medium heat. Grill until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Flip, and continue to grill until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes more. (If using a gas grill, reduce heat to medium-low to finish cooking chicken, then raise to medium for sausage.)