Grilled Onions, Shallots, and Leeks
Threading small pieces of vegetables, such as onion wedges on skewers, keeps them from falling through the grates. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes so they don't burn on the grill.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2009
- 6 to 8 assorted onions and shallots, halved or quartered, leaving onion wedges intact
- 4 leeks, trimmed, leaving root ends intact, halved lengthwise, and rinsed well
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
Preheat grill to medium. Thread onions and shallots onto skewers. Lightly drizzle onions, shallots, and leeks with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning often, until lightly charred and tender, about 25 minutes for the leeks and 45 minutes for the onions and shallots. Drizzle vegetables with vinegar while warm.