Braised Endive with Orange
This dish can be prepared early in the day and warmed over low heat; add the orange slices just before serving.
- 2 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 heads Belgian endive, (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 orange, peel and pith removed, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Combine stock, orange juice, liqueur, salt, and pepper in a large, shallow, nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, and add endive. Cover endive with cheesecloth to keep it submerged, reduce heat to medium low, and cover; simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
Transfer endive to a plate, and cover with cheesecloth to keep warm. Continue simmering liquid until syrupy and slightly thick, about 20 minutes.
Slice heads of endive in half lengthwise; add to syrup. Add orange slices, and toss to coat. Toss again, and serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November 1995