Lentils with Scallions and Peppers
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 very large shallot (1 1/2 ounces), peeled
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups homemade or canned low-sodium chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 scallions, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 yellow pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a small saucepan, combine lentils, shallot, garlic, bay leaf, and chicken stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Drain, and discard seasonings.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallions and yellow pepper, and saute just to slightly soften vegetables, 3 to 4 minutes. Add lentils, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and cook, tossing until well heated, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish, and serve immediately the sauteed shrimp.