Mixed Fresh Herb Pasta
Vary the sauce with any tender herbs you have on hand. Top the pasta with our Grilled Sea Scallops and Fennel.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July Summer 2005
- 3 shallots, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for pasta water and seasoning
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups packed mixed fresh herbs, such as mint, flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, and basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh fennel fronds, finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound spaghetti or other pasta
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Fill a large pot with water; bring to a boil over high heat. Add salt and pasta. Cook until the pasta is al dente according to package directions.
Meanwhile, place shallots on a cutting board, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Using the side of a chef's knife, crush into a paste. Transfer to a medium bowl, and add oil and lemon juice. Whisk to combine. Add herbs and fennel fronds to shallot paste, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Drain the pasta in a colander, and return to pot. Stir in the herb sauce. Serve warm.