Spinach Sauteed With Indian Spices
Spinach releases a lot of water when sauteed, so dry the leaves well to keep water from accumulating.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons julienned ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, stems removed
- 2 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a high straight-sided medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and the garlic, and cook until shallots are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in ginger, cumin, and turmeric, and cook for 30 seconds. Add spinach and mustard seeds; season with salt and pepper; cook, tossing until spinach is just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from skillet, and serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December/January 1996/1997