Banana Bread Pudding
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, (optional)
- 3 small bananas, (about 1 pound), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 8 ounces (about half a loaf) peasant bread crust, removed, torn into 32 small pieces
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Place a baking pan filled with 1/2 inch of water in center of oven. Butter 4 six-ounce ramekins; set aside. Whisk together cream, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, vanilla, and rum; set aside.
Cut butter into 8 pieces. Place 1 piece of butter and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in each ramekin. Place an eighth of the banana slices in an even layer over butter and sugar. Cover banana with 4 pieces of bread; sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Pour about half the cream mixture among ramekins to soak bread. Divide remaining banana slices among ramekins, sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and top with remaining bread. Pour remaining cream mixture over. Press to soak bread. Place 1 piece of butter in each; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Cover each ramekin loosely with foil and bake in hot-water bath for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 30 minutes more. Let ramekins cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes before serving.