- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking dish
- 1 small or 1/2 medium pineapple (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Toss pineapple, mangoes, and brown sugar together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
Beat butter and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Measure out 1 cup fruit mixture; fold rest into batter.
Spread batter into prepared baking dish; sprinkle reserved fruit over the top. Bake until golden on top and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, April 2003