Whole Wheat Pasta with Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes
Pasta sauce doesn't always have to be cooked on the stove. Here, onion, tomatoes, and eggplant are roasted in the oven, which gives the dish a sweeter flavor.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, November 2004
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled in alternating stripes and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 pints (4 cups) cherry tomatoes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 pound whole-wheat penne, (or other short, tubular pasta)
- 1/4 cup sliced, pitted Kalamata or oil-cured black olives
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium (11-by-15-inch) roasting pan, combine eggplant, onion, tomatoes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and oil; toss well to coat. Roast until tender, tossing mixture halfway through, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot.
Add roasted eggplant mixture, olives, and Parmesan. Toss to coat, adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup reserved pasta water, if desired. Serve immediately, sprinkled with more cheese.