Apple Brown Betty
Let apples fill your kitchen with the sweet smell of the fall harvest. This recipe is also featured in "Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast."
- 4 to 5 slices white sandwich bread (about 4 ounces total), torn into large pieces
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 pounds Gala apples (about 6), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup packed light- or dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, pulse bread until coarse crumbs form (you should have about 2 cups). Spread breadcrumbs on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely. Transfer to a bowl, add butter, and toss until coated.
Meanwhile, place apples in a large bowl, and toss with lemon juice. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and half the breadcrumbs. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake until fruit mixture is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Then remove foil, and continue baking until breadcrumbs have browned and apples are easily pierced with a paring knife, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Top, if desired, with vanilla ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2006