Baked Chicken with Fennel and Apples
In this one-dish dinner, fennel and apple are roasted until caramelized and tender.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2009
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces and breasts halved crosswise
- 2 fennel bulbs, fronds removed, bulbs cut into 1-inch wedges
- 4 shallots, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup fresh sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 Gala or Fuji apples, cored and quartered
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. On two rimmed baking sheets, arrange chicken, fennel, shallots, and sage. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar and drizzle over chicken and vegetables. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper. Roast 35 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Add apples to sheets and roast until fennel is browned and chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes more.