Sweet Potato and Chipotle Soup
This soup is smooth and creamy with a dash of spice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (2 pounds total), peeled and cut
- 1/2 to 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Sour cream, for serving
- Toasted flour tortilla wedges, for serving (optional)
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until beginning to brown around edges, about 7 minutes. Add cumin and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in sweet potatoes, chile, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce to a rapid simmer, partially cover, and cook until sweet potatoes can be mashed easily with a spoon, 20 to 25 minutes.
Let soup cool slightly. Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return pureed soup to pot over low heat and season with salt and pepper. Top soup with sour cream and serve with tortilla wedges, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2009