Rice Pilaf with Almonds
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2004
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, (or 1 3/4 cups water)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in coriander, and season with salt and pepper. Add rice, and cook, stirring, until the edges of the rice kernels are transparent, about 2 minutes.
Stir in broth or water. Bring to a boil; cover, and simmer over low heat until liquid has absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, spread almonds in one layer on a baking sheet; bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Stir parsley into the rice mixture. Serve sprinkled with almonds.