Under 30 Minutes
Check the rice and grains aisle for fine-, medium-, or coarse-grind bulgur. It's also sold in health-food stores and Middle Eastern specialty shops. In this recipe, we used the widely available medium-grind bulgur.
- 1 cup medium-grind bulgur
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley (from 1 to 2 bunches)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
In a medium bowl, mix bulgur with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 2 cups boiling water. Cover bowl, and let sit until bulgur is tender (but still slightly chewy), about 30 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve, pressing to remove liquid; return to bowl.
Add tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, lemon juice, and oil; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days (bring to room temperature before serving).
SourceEveryday Food, April 2007