Veggie Burgers with Tahini Mayonnaise
These bean-and-bulgur patties with scallion and carrot include breadcrumbs and egg to help hold their shape. Place on a whole-wheat English muffin with some sesame-flavored mayo, and your meal is made.
- 1/2 cup medium-grind bulgur
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame-seed paste)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, toasted
- Tahini Mayonnaise
In a medium bowl, mix bulgur with 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt and 1 cup boiling water. Cover bowl, and let sit until bulgur is tender (but still slightly chewy), about 30 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve, pressing to remove liquid.
Place beans in a medium bowl; mash with a potato masher until a coarse paste forms. Add breadcrumbs, scallions, egg, carrot, cayenne, tahini, and bulgur. Season with salt and pepper, and mix to combine. Form mixture into 4 patties, each about 1 inch thick.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low. Cook patties until browned and firm, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Serve on English muffins with tahini mayonnaise and lettuce.
SourceEveryday Food, April 2007