Under 30 Minutes
Garam masala is a spice mixture that's commonly used in Indian cuisine. If you can't find it in your supermarket, substitute 1 teaspoon ground cumin. Greek yogurt is a great base for a marinade -- it tenderizes the meat while adding plenty of flavor.
- 1 large white onion, 1/2 chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (full-fat)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for grates
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- naan or pita, for serving (optional)
In a blender, combine chopped onion, garlic, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and ginger. Puree until smooth, scraping down sides of blender as necessary, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in yogurt, garam masala, 2 teaspoons salt, and teaspoon pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours (or up to 1 day).
Heat grill to medium; clean and oil hot grates. Remove chicken from marinade, wiping off excess. Grill chicken until cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally.
In a small bowl, combine cucumber, sliced onion, cilantro, oil, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; season cucumber salad with salt and pepper. Serve chicken with salad and naan if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2009