Chicken-and-Ricotta Meatballs in Broth
This tasty recipe is a nutritious treat for lunch or dinner.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, September 2009
- 1 pound ground white-meat chicken
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Ground nutmeg
- 8 cups (64 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lemon, zest peeled off in wide strips, plus lemon slices for serving
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bag (6 ounces) baby spinach
In a large bowl, mix chicken with ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt, and pinch of nutmeg until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, combine broth, lemon zest, and thyme and bring to a simmer. Using a spring-loaded 1/4-cup ice-cream scoop or two large spoons, drop meatball mixture into broth (you should have 18 meatballs). Simmer gently until meatballs float and are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Just before serving, add spinach to broth and let wilt; garnish soup with lemon slices.