Easy Turkey Stock
To make chicken stock, simply use leftover chicken bones.
- 5 pounds leftover turkey bones (with some meat still attached), broken into large sections if necessary
- 1 pound yellow onions, skins on, halved or quartered depending on size
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 4-inch lengths
- 1/2 pound celery stalks, cut into 4-inch lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 8 sprigs parsley
In a 3-gallon stockpot, combine all ingredients and fill with enough cold water to cover ingredients by 3 inches when submerged (about 6 quarts).
Bring to a rapid simmer over high (do not boil); reduce heat until bubbles barely break the surface. Simmer until flavorful, about 2 hours, skimming stock with a ladle every 30 minutes.
Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard vegetables. Remove meat from bones and save for another use; discard bones. Let stock cool completely before refrigerating.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2009