Winter Greens and Bacon
Any combination of kale, chard, or mustard or collard greens works well.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 pound kale, ribs removed, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, ribs removed, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons apple-cider vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon, and set aside. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons rendered fat.
Add greens and water to pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until greens are wilted and almost all the water has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
Remove greens from heat. Stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Toss in bacon. Serve warm.